The Department of Transportation (DOT) has adopted Federal DOT CODE 192.16. This rule requires operators of gas service lines who do not maintain buried customer piping to notify their customers of the need to maintain that piping.
Notice is hereby given that:
- Ohio Valley Gas does not maintain any customer’s buried piping unless a specific agreement has been established outlining the parameters of the maintenance with the customer.
- If your buried piping is not maintained, it may be subject to the potential hazards of corrosion and leakage.
- Your buried piping should be:
– Periodically inspected for leaks
– Periodically inspected for corrosion if the piping is metallic.
– Repaired if any unsafe condition is discovered.
- When you are excavating near buried gas piping, the piping along with any and all buried utilities should be located in advance, and the excavation done by hand.
- Plumbers and heating contractors can assist in locating, inspecting, and repairing your buried piping.
- If you are an operator of a master meter you must continuously post a general notice (such as this) in a prominent location frequented by your customer.